4.1 FLEXnet Server Setup for Windows
This page is mainly for users who are new to FLEXnet Server and set it up for the first time. The easiest way to learn it is by watching Setting up your Concurrent Network Package
Select a Computer for your FLEXnet Server
- Stable machine that doesn't require frequent reboot. It can be either a server or workstation.
- Operation system supports Windows Server 2022, 2019, 2016, 2012, 2008, Windows 11, 10, 8/8.1, 7 and Vista (both 32 & 64-bit).
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable Package must be installed
- Low network traffic
- Minimum recommended system RAM is 64 MB.
- All potential Origin computers can connect to it. Communication between the FLEXnet license server and the Origin concurrent network members is by TCP/IP networking protocols.
Install FLEXnet server
- We always recommend updating your FLEXnet servers to the latest version to avoid any licensing issue or security risk. The current version is 184.108.40.206.
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable Package must be installed. If not yet, please download and install it first.
On a New Machine
If you are installing a FlexNet Server on a new machine, then simply download the FLEXlmServerSetup.exe and install it. Or if you have Origin DVD, you can also install from there. Please DO NOT install it to C:\Program Files\ or to your Desktop.
Updating Existing FlexLM License Server
To upgrade your FLEXnet server to the lastest version (220.127.116.11), we recommend uninstall your old FLEXnet Server installation and then install the new version. And it should not be under Program Files folder or Desktop.
To Remove your old OriginLab FLEXnet Server:
- Go to your old FLEXnet server folder, find your license file, and make a backup since you will need it when you start the new server.
- Run LMTOOLS.exe and go to the Start/Stop/Reread tab. Check Force Server Shutdown checkbox and click Stop Server.
- Wait a moment for the server to shut down. You can check Server Status to see if it is shut down.
- Next, go to the Config Services tab, select your OriginLab license Service Name, and click Remove Service. You may close LMTOOLS.exe now.
- Now uninstall the Originlab FLEXlm server by going to the Windows Control Panel, then find the program named 'License Server for OriginLab' and run it. It will uninstall the old OriginLab FLEXnet server files.
- Clean up the old folder if it still exists. It may contain your license file or log files, for instance.
Obtain a license file from Originlab.com for FLEXnet Server computer
Find the FLEXnet server Host Name and Host ID
- If you have installed FLEXNet Server, go to the installed location. Under Tools folder, run LMTools.exe.
- Make note of the Computer/Hostname and Ethernet Address on the System Settings tab.
- Or open the Command Prompt and enter the command:
In the Command Prompt window, these two quantities will be reported as the Host Name and the Physical Address .
Obtain the license file
- Go to [https://originlab.com Originlab.com and log in.
- Choose the Manage My License(s) link on the page that shows after login.
- If your web membership account already has an Origin serial number(s) associated with it, you will see your "Origin Product Registration" page.
- If this is the first time you are registering and obtaining a license for this serial number and version, click the Register New Serial Number button.
- If you previously registered and obtained a license for this serial number and version (such as if you are moving your FLEXnet service to a different machine, and you completed the system transfer request), then select the check box next to your serial number and version and click the Get FLEXnet License button located below the table.
- Select the "I want to register my Origin software and obtain a license file for a computer" radio button and click Next.
- Enter your Origin serial number, version, etc. and click Continue.
- Then enter the FLEXnet server Host Name (Command Prompt's Computer/Hostname) and Host ID (this is the Ethernet Address reported by LMTOOLS; or the Physical Address reported by Command Prompt, WITHOUT THE DASHES ("-")).
- Click the Submit button to generate the license file.
- When successful, you will see the license file text on the web page. Copy the license file text from the web page and paste it into a text editor such as Notepad.
- In the text editor, select the File|Save As option. Set All Files(*.*) as Save as type. Save it as orglab.lic under the FLEXnet server's \Licenses\ folder. This is recommended location. But you can also save it somewhere else. Go to the Licenses\ folder to make sure the file is orglab.lic instead of orglab.lic.txt.
Set up and start the FLEXnet service
- Run LMTOOLS.exe from the FLEXnet server's \Tools\ folder. If on Windows Server 2012, 2008, Windows Vista, 7 or 8 RIGHT-click on the LMTools.exe and select "Run as Administrator" to open it.
- On the Service/License File tab, select Configuration Using Services.
- On the Config Services tab, type OriginLab or name of your choice in the Service Name text box.
- In the Path to the lmgrd.exe file field, click the Browse button and go to the FLEXnet Server \Servers\ folder, select the lmgrd.exe file .
- In the Path to the license file field, click the Browse button and go to the FLEXnet Server \Licenses\ folder, select the orglab.lic file and click the Open button.
- The debug log file does not yet exist - the service will create it based on what you enter in this text box. A path under \ProgramData\FLEXlm\lmgrd\ is pre-filled in the text box. We recommend accepting this path to avoid any privilege issue.
- Check Use Services checkbox.
- If you want the service to start automatically when the server boots, select Start Server at Power Up.
- Click Save Service.
- On the Start/Stop/Reread tab, select the Force Server Shutdown check box.
- Click the Start Server button. You should get "Server Start Successful" message in the LMTOOLS status bar.
- On the Server Status tab, click the Perform Status Enquiry button. The Status window reports relevant feature usage information.
- Now check if this FLEXnet server has Windows Firewall on. If so, add Inbound Rules to allow the following programs through the firewall. They are both under the FLEXnet Server's Servers\ folder.
- LMGRD.EXE - The FLEXnet License Manager.
- ORGLAB.EXE - The Origin vendor daemon.
- Allowing access for the Origin FLEXnet service through a firewall between your server and client installations,
- If you want to restrict access to the FLEXnet service, or reserve licenses for specified users, departments, etc., you can create an options file.
- Setup FLEXnet server for Linux