This App connects the Origin project to shapefile data (*.shp).
This App is pre-installed in Origin. You can launch it from the Data menu or from the App icon on the Connector tab of the Apps Gallery, located at the right-side of the Origin workspace. If you do not see the menu command or App icon, click Data: Connect to File: Add New.... The App Center opens listing only Connector Apps. Click the Download and Install button to install an App.
- With a worksheet active, click on the Data menu.
- To connect to a local file, click Data: Connect to File: Shapefile and select the file. To connect to web data, click Data: Connect to Web and enter the URL.
- In the Shapefile Import Options dialog, you can check the Load Attributes to import the columnar attributes for each shape , which is a dbf file. The dbf file has a name identical with the shp file. Both dbf file and shp file are in stored in the save directory.
- Once the data is imported, you will see at least 3 columns in the worksheet: X, Y and Feature ID.
X and Y are separated by missing values to represent different segments. Multiple segments may share one feature ID. For polygon shapes, you can create a line plot of the XY data, filling shapes by orientation and subsetting by feature ID.
- By default, connector-imported data are NOT saved with the project file. To save a workbook's data with the project file, click the connector icon in the upper-left corner for that workbook and uncheck Exclude Imported When Saving. Note that each workbook has its own Exclude setting.